Friday, May 27, 2016

Having my daughter PART 2

So let's continue...

I was sent home from the hospital with my baby after 4 days I think? I was sent home with a walker because I was still in too much pain to walk.



The day in a half or so I was home I just slept. Nonstop almost. The baby was mainly in the bed with me so I didn't have to get up. Or Kevin would bring her to me if she did wake up, because getting out of the bed was a huge task that he had to buy a step stool so I could. On the right side of my lower stomach I had an excruciating pain that hurt whenever I moved my leg and made walking impossible. I used the walker a little only to get to the bathroom. Kevin had to help me though. A full 24 hours after being sent home from the hospital I was feeling extremely cold so I decided to check my temperature since I couldn't even stay awake for some reason either. I had a fever. 102 something. I called my doctor who told me to take ibuprofen and tylenol to break it. He said if it kept coming back to go directly to the hospital because they were closed that day. My temperature did end up going down and I went to sleep. The next day my temperature was back. I decided to go to the hospital.

At the ER they took my temperature I had a fever and rather quickly got me a room. Where they had me do a pee test to see if I had a UTI. They did bloodwork as well. They were really quick with me, which is something I don't expect at an E.R. my nurse ended up coming back saying I did have a UTI but also my white blood cell count was abnormally high and they would have to admit me. My heart was broken at this point because I had to be admitted in the hospital WITHOUT my daughter who I was breastfeeding at the time. She was not allowed at all in there. I didn't get to see her for a week. I was alone in a hospital most of the time for a week. I spent 4th of July in the hospital. It was really miserable.

They take me to some part of the hospital right next to the ICU. Hooked me up to a heart monitor. Hooked me up to the IV and started giving me potassium and three different antibiotics through the IV. I still could not walk at this point, and was still in pain. So I had to call the nurses everytime I had to use the bathroom to not only unhook me from the heart monitor and IV but to help me get to the bathroom. I couldn't do a real shower I had to have my nurse help me sponge bathe. And I sat in this bed waiting, because I was told whenever my fever went down I would be able to leave. I stayed in that room for 3 or 4 days. My fever did not go away. The antibiotics were not helping. They started swabbing my csection to look for what type of infection was there because they couldn't figure out where it was coming from. The swab kept coming back with nothing. I had to see the infectious disease doctor almost every day and have her tell me they couldn't find what was going on. Meanwhile, my veins were blowing because the potassium was too strong. So they had to keep finding a new vein to use. Then they had to change what kind of antibiotics I was on. They ended up having to give me the STRONGEST antibiotic they had because nothing was working. My heart rate was high and my breathing was irregular. Which made a stupid alarm go off everytime my breathing wasn't normal and it wouldn't stop until I corrected my breathing. I did have really nice nurses who helped me with everything. I wasn't eating. I wasn't hungry. I still wasn't walking. I still hadn't had a bowel movement. I had to have these pumps on my legs for circulation because I was retaining and EXTREME amount of water because of the non movement. I also developed a rash on my back from laying there.

They ended up moving me to a different part of the hospital after 3 or 4 days. I no longer had to be on the heart monitor. I was in a part of the hospital that was all female. And I luckily still was able to have a room to myself. They Infectious disease doctor decided to do a cat scan on my abdomen and they found nothing. She swabbed my incision again and found nothing. 4 days later and my fever wasn't breaking and I wasn't getting better. I ended up getting incompetent nurses who couldn't put my iv in because it kept blowing the vein. I had to have the IV team come to my room 3 times to reinsert the IV. The last time I had it inserted I was told if it blew again I was going to have to get the IV somewhere in my neck because they literally made me look like a drug addict shooting up. Potassium is very hard on the blood and you have to be really careful when giving it through the IV and apparently these people were not diluting it enough. So that was scary and annoying. I also was on heavy painkillers the whole time every 4 hours so I was pretty much drugged the entire time there. I remember texting people stuff that didn't make sense many times.

Meanwhile, I am being bothered by all my nurses about needing to start walking and to poop! It was impossible to do either I kept trying to explain. Anyways I think my 5th day there I started noticing some weird fluid coming from my incision. It was a lot and it just kept coming and I noticed that weird nonstop pain I had was easing up though from that. The doctors came and had to open up my incision in tiny little spots to help the fluid come out and push on my belly to get it out. I had to wear a bandage over it at this point, but the pain I was having was slowly fading away!! I was able to start walking to the bathroom on my own. I was able to walk a little bit here and there on my own. I was feeling better! Oh and I finally had a bowel movement 2 weeks after I had my daughter.

On the 7th day of being readmitted in the hospital I was finally discharged! The antibiotics finally worked and my fever had gone down for over 24 hours. They sent me home with a wound vac which is a bandage that has a cord connected to it and a little box that controls it. It keeps the bandage on it completely and air out. I had to wear that for 7 days and then remove it and put a new one on. That was extremely painful and hard to do and gross when taken off. It worked though! I saw my doctor who didn't even know I was readmitted or anything and the incision was healing great!! I was feeling better just in a little pain. My swelling went home after a few days of being home and I finally lost almost 30 pounds I had gained while pregnant.

P.S. I never found out what the infection was or anything more about it. I don't even know if they found out. The general consensus was obviously that my incision was infected.


Fast forward I gained the 30 pounds back almost a month after losing it. I started feeling sick EVERYTIME I ate. Literally, everytime I ate something I would get bloated have stomach cramps and indigestion. I had no energy. I was extremely depressed, from what had gone on and from being super tired. And I was back to being really overweight. And that is where my health and wellness journey begins!!! And that is what my next post will begin with!

No comments:

Post a Comment